alsa dsp devfs

I can't seem to be able to get sound from my dsp using alsa.  I can load the
modules and play *.wav files using aplay.  What is the trick to getting the
dsp to work?

I ran snddevices.

Also, when starting alsa:
Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0beta10): no sound cards defined.

In /etc/devdfs.conf
LOOKUP snd MODLOAD ACTION snd
REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660

In /etc/alsa/modutils:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-1 snd-card-ice1712
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-2
alias sound-slot-2 snd-card-2
alias sound-service-2-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-2-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-2-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-2-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-2-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=2 snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-ice1712 snd_index=1 snd_id=CARD_1

--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other
                            sets of psople are human
                                       -
                                 Aldous Huxley