/etc/passwd file, and USERSPEC.H

In the man page for /etc/passwd, it says that password aging information can
be keps in four characters following the encrypted password field (separated
from it with a comma).  However, I have tried manually entering the aging
info there (e.g. ,.... or ,//// or ,..//), but it has no effect.  I tried
getting the source code for the login-stuff, and it looks like I may need a
header file called USERSPEC.H in order to compile the support for this in
there.  I'm not sure though, since I do not have USERSPEC.H.  Anyone know
where I could find it?  Is there such a thing as an apt-get searcher, to
find which package would contain a certain file?  TIA.