Re: apt-get build-deps <package> or -b switch

> How can I capture the output of ./configure and make during a source
> build with apt-get -b source <package>
>
> I think there might be a small bug in the building of emacs21 that
> way.  The info flew by so quick but I noticed a `no' during
> ./configure that I think was prompted by a missing library
> `libungif4-dev'.
>
> I think that was supposed to be grabbed with
>   apt-get build-deps emacs21
> But it wasn't maybe.  I'd like to rerun the ./configure  and trace it
> down.

Too dumb... I didn't realize the sources had been dropped at my feet.
In a cluttered directroy I didn't see them and don't remember any
indication in the output on screen that it would be dumbed in current
dir.  But I didn't watch all of it... it was quite lengthy.

That aside:

This is beginning to look more serious.  I started investigating, and
had 3 straight packages  fail with `apt-get -b source package'.
I prefaced the `apt-get -b source package' with
  `apt-get build-deps package'

I don't think I needed both but wanted to see what it did.
Anyway, it shouldn't hurt.. right?

So, if I read the manpages right, this technique should get all
dependencies for a successfull build.  Yet each time the build fails.

I suspect either some shortcoming in my technique or something is not
installed that isn't known in the dependancy lists.

Here is the tail of 2 tries:
apt-get build-deps emacs21
apt-get -b source emacs21
[...]
   make[1]: *** [../info/emacs] Error 2
   make[1]: Leaving directory "/var/lib/apt/lists/emacs21-21.lman"
   make: *** [debian/stamp-build] Error 2
   Build command " cd emacs21-21.1 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc" failed
   E: Child process failed

I wondered if maybe it was something in the compiler itself so:
apt-get build-deps gcc
apt-get -b source gcc
[...]
  dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependancies/conflicts unsatisfied;aborting
  dpkg-buildpackage: (use -d flag to override.)
  Build command "cd gcc-3.0-3.0.3ds3 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc" failed