Re: Star Office Installation

 --- "Bannerman, Israel" <Israel.Bannerman@mfn.com>
wrote: >
> To all:
>
> I just downloaded Star Office and I am trying to
> install the application.
>
> Before downloading the file I did:
>
> mkdir -m 0755 /usr/local/soffice
> chown me /usr/local/soffice
>
> I then downloaded the application to the
> /usr/local/soffice directory.
>
> I then did:
> chmod 0755 so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-bin
> chown me so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en-bin
>
> Afterwards I tried running the
> ./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin but it came back
> saying
>
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-000.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-001.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-002.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-003.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-004.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-005.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-006.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-007.bin
> file not found
> '/usr/local/soffice/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-008.bin
>
> error: One or more files are missing!  Please ensure
> that all necessary
> files are present.
>

> So I went back and downloaded each individual file.
> The installation is still not working and I am still
> getting the same
> message.
>

> Please help.  I am new to Linux/Debian and am in
> much need for help.
>
> Thanks alot!
> -Israel

Hi this seems a strange way to install Star Office or
perhaps just different to how I would do it.  Star
Office has it's own installer so there is no need to
move the installation file to where you would like it
installed.  The installer will ask you where you would
like it installed.

There are 2 ways you can install Star Office.  One is
a net installation where you install it so all users
on your system can use it in their own accounts.  The
other is a single user installation where you install
it in your home account and you are the only user with
access to it.

I prefer the "net" installation and usually install it
into /opt.  To do this run the install file as root
with "/net" (ignore the quotation marks but keep the
slash) as a paramenter.  This will install the base.
Then from your normal user account run setup and your
account will then have access to everything Star
Office has to offer.

Cheers Geoff

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.