Adding /dev/hdXX nodes

Hi!

I'm trying to set up a software RAID-5 machine with 9 IDE drives (1
for the OS, 8 for a RAID-5 array) and a CD-ROM drive using Promise
IDE controllers.  The kernel detects and identifies the geometry on
the drives (hda, c, e, g, i, k, m, o, q, s), but the device nodes in
/dev only go up to hdh.  I looked in the /dev/MAKEDEV script, but it's
not clear to me what I'm supposed to do in order to get new devices,
and it looks like even if I could figure out how to add more than 'h'
drives, this script only goes up to 'l' anyway.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu