Re: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

 Pete> Does anyone know how to increase the number of allowed
 Pete> processes?

if you are running a 2.2 series kernel, you have to recompile the
kernel after tweaking a header file.

it's been a while, but I think you only have to change one line in
include/linux/tasks.h.  mine now looks like this:

/*
 * This is the maximum nr of tasks - change it if you need to
 */

#ifdef __SMP__
#define NR_CPUS 32              /* Max processors that can be running in SMP */
#else
#define NR_CPUS 1
#endif

#define NR_TASKS        2048    /* On x86 Max 4092, or 4090 w/APM configured. */

#define MAX_TASKS_PER_USER (NR_TASKS/2)
#define MIN_TASKS_LEFT_FOR_ROOT 4

the NR_TASKS symbol was oringally set to 512, I think, meaning a max
of 256 processes per user.

the 2.4 kernels work differently.  I have no experience with these.

--

joe