Re: dpkg - the letter prefixes.. what do they mean

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 08:40, Harry Putnam wrote:
> dpkg -l '*desk*' shows a series of hits, all are preceded by
> `un'
>
> dpkg -l 'gnome*' shows a number of things some are proceeded by
> ii and some by un.
>
> Where does on look to find out what these letters mean.  I went thru
> man dpkg several times looking for some referrence.  A grep with `ii'
> gets no hits.  dpkg --help doesn't appear to make any mention.

dpkg -l | head

The first 3 lines of the dpkg output list what the letters mean.

maniac@widow:/etc/courier/smtpaccess$ dpkg -l | head

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
ii  a2ps           4.13b-15       GNU a2ps 'Anything to PostScript'
converter
ii  acct           6.3.5-30       The GNU Accounting utilities.
ii  adduser        3.45           Add and remove users and groups