Re: Can't access www

* Martin Price (Martin.Price@uea.ac.uk) [020226 15:30]:
> I've probably done something dumb...
>
> I'm using Woody, and other than www my dialup ISP connection seems to work
> fine (ftp, ssh, X).  However, Netscape, Lynx and Opera all fail to open
> web pages; Netscape says 'Connection reset by Peer', and the others say
> something to the same effect.
>
> If I use telnet to connect to port 80 of a web site, and issue the GET
> command, it works fine. TCPDump shows that the handshake works fine, but
> then all the browsers send two packets (neither of which get
> acknowledged), then a reset packet comes from the other end.  Don't really
> know what all this means - I've just been tearing my hair out trying to
> figure out what's wrong.  Any Ideas?

I don't really know what I'm talking about, so take this with a gallon
of salt.

This might be an ECN issue. What version kernel are you using? A custom
build or a debian stock build? Is there a /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn on
your system? What do you get if you cat it? If it's a 1, this might
solve your problem:

# echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

or

# sysctl -w net.tcp.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0

You can make that change permanent by adding a line to /etc/sysctl.conf.

Again, this might have nothing to do with your problem ;) I'm not sure
about if this issue would only affect the browser and not the telnet
attempt. Generally it's known to prevent connections to only certain
webistes, but it could be that your upstream router incorrectly handles
ECN-enabled packets so they get dropped no matter where you're trying to
connect to.

HTH,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/