Re: hardware quote comments?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 08:26:15PM -0600, Matt Wehland wrote:
[...]
| Even if the SCSI subsystem is faster, how many people will even notice
| it?  With my daily task load I am waiting on disk transfer for just seconds
| a full day, other than system startup and who turns their systems off?
| Save some money and buy the biggest/best monitor you can afford.  People
| never listen to me and like to drool over performance numbers of CPU's and
| HD's, but in reality most systems probably aren't even utilized 2%-10% of
| the time, the rest is just sitting idle while I type or read or
| something.   On the other hand you spend every second with the computer
| looking at your monitor.  Also get your self a good chair.  I'd rather have
| to wait for my computer for a couple of seconds but be comfortable the rest
| of the day.

Ditto.

| Pro's of building your own system-
[...]
| Con's of building your own system-
[...]
| My vote is for building your own system, but just know up front it will be
| a pain, but then again for $1000 savings I can take a lot.

I, too, like the build-it-yourself style.  The best parts are :
    o   you get exactly the components you want because you pick them
    o   you know exactly what it is and why it works together and how
            you can expand it
    o   you spend less money (I suppose you can view it as paying
            yourself to do the work)
    o   you don't waste $100 or so on pre-installed windo~1 (not an
            issue in this case, though)

-D

--

He who finds a wife finds what is good