Re: backup solution suggestions

hi ya justin

backup mechanism

do your development work on an internal machine.. not accessible
from the outside

when you are done testing...
	internal -> update external dns
	internal -> update external web
	internal -> update external mail

	never bring external files inside...esp cgi-scripts
	but sometmes external web-based db is more up to date than
	internal and have no choice but to backup from outside inward...

	all the external machines has a separate internal
	lan for backups and monitoring...

run hourly/daily/weekly incremental backups...
run weekly/monthly 30-60-90 day incremental backups ...
run weekly/monthly full backups...

remember... if any one incremental backup is corrupt or was missed...
you lost that days/weeks/months of data....

make sure incremental data spans multiple "full backups"

simulate a disk crash ( [h/cr]acker doing rm -rf / )....
and see if you can recover your data... and how long does it take...

rsync doesnt help if you wanna keep a log of changes so that you
can replay those changes to see why/what got broken and how

have fun linuxing
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net ... collection of backup scripts...