Re: How to Upgrade from Potato to Woody?

At 11:58 AM 2/26/02, Ed Lawson wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 08:58:35AM -0600, David Bell wrote:

| Change all references to 'stable' in /etc/apt/sources.list to 'testing'
| and run apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade.  You're now running
| Woody. :)
Hmmm. Isn't it better to first change the sources list, then upgrade Perl, then upgrade apt, dpkg, etc, and then do a dist-upgrade? Seems I have read that a blanket dist-upgrade from stable to testing is not as seamless as you suggest, but it has been awhile since I looked at this issue.

Ed Lawson

Last time I upgraded to testing I had to do that. Update perl first. The rest of apt wanted it done first. I don't know what apt is written in, or why it wanted that first, but once I upgraded perl, the rest went with out any problems.

Chris