Re: VMware not compiling under woody...

On Monday 25 February 2002 7:00 pm, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:20:13AM -0800, nate wrote:
> > <quote who="Darryl L. Pierce">
> >
> > > Is there a package I need to install to have backwards
> > > compatibility so I can install and run VMware? It's pretty
> > > important for me to be able to use VMware.
> >
> > what kernel are you using? if its a bleeding
> > edge kernel you may have to either downgrade the
> > kernel or upgrade to vmware 3.0(i wouldnt even
> > try vmware with kernel 2.5.x).
>
> 2.4.16. I don't really want to downgrade, but for the machine it's more
> important to have windows <blearg> available than to have a more recent
> kernel.

Are you trying to run VMWARE Workstation? I've upgraded to VMware 3.0, but
before that I was running VMWARE Workstation Version 1142 (or something) and
I managed to get it running with kernels 2.4.17 and earlier. I think there
was something in one of the vmware newsgroups about it a while back, but the
notes I've hung on to are from the Mandrake newsgroup. I've pasted it below,
because it's always worked for me, but when I tried just now to see if the
ftp file was still there, it said file unavailable. I think I've still got
the patch somewhere if you need it.

Here's the old posting:

#! rnews 2958
Article: 164918 of alt.os.linux.mandrake