offtopic: installing firmware updates in printers?

how do people do this with printers that are not administered
via windows software. Is there a linux solution that could
be used to administer firmware update, say for HP printers
in particular? I am think of the recent snmp security issues.
I am not just interested in linux solution but any suggestions.

I did a google search and there appears to be sourceforge project
that seems to show up when doing a jetdirect linux search.

-walter