Best player for Divx, AFS, AVI etc.

Hi,

What is the best solution on linux to play most
movie formats? (doesn't need to be a single app)

I've been slowly trying to be able to perform most task on
my Woody box that I used to do on Window$. But I'm still
struggling a bit with playing various multimedia files.

I would like to be able to play any downloaded
avi, mpg, asf, mov, vob and divx 3 and 4 files if possible...

I've tried aviplay but with little success. On some files
there was sound but no picture (or garbled picture).
And allthough it says it should be able to play asf it didn't
seem to work for me either.
(I've read the readme according to which additional codecs might be
needed, but as far as I can tell I've installed all plugins, and
they seem to contain all the mentioned codecs.)

I would be most greatfull for suggestions regarding what's the
most effective way to play the above mentioned formats!

Many thanks for your help in advance!
best regards,
Balazs