Re: any ideas? no network traffic gets through

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 03:41:43PM +1300, Cameron Kerr wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, will trillich wrote:
> >there's probably something simple that's wrong here, but my
> >3c509 connection won't cooperate no my potato system. it'll
> >respond only to self-pings; no other traffic seems to get in or
> >out.
>
> I was dealing to this very kind of card the other day, and I have two
> things to say.

excellent. nice to know it's not just me.

> Go to 3Com's site, and get the DOS driver disk (Disk 2), make a DOS
> bootable disk, and stick all the files in the root of the self-extracting
> archive (you can decompress under Linux using lha, or dosemu), and boot
> from the floppy. Run the program PNPDSABL.BAT to disable Plug and Pray,
> and then run the E3C5X9CFG.EXE program, and change/note the IO and IRQ
> values. You should also run the tests.

okay, once i detect the io/irq via qdos, how do i replicate that
under linux? is it lilo? i never have understood the "command
line args" portion of modconf: "Please enter any command-line
arguments for the XYZ module. Many modules can autoprobe and do
not require additional parameters." i don't understand the
syntax needed.  can this be overridden via lilo.conf somehow?
or can you 'do it by hand' via left-shift at startup? then again
maybe it's in a config file somewhere...

> If it still doesn't work in Linux, cat /proc/interrupts and take note of
> the 2nd column (if your device is sharing interrupts, ignore this). If its
> zero, then no interrupts have been received. Send some pings to your
> interface from outside the box, and reexamine this statistic. If its still
> zero, your card may be dropping interrupts. The testing program will show
> this.

i keep forgetting about the amazing power behind the /proc area.
i'll check this out -- cool idea.

> A symptom of this fatal condition is that the lights on the hub flicker,
> meaning data is sent, and the ping target gets the frames, and sends them
> back, but nothing happens.
>
> PS. Send the dmesg output regarding the 3c509 module load.

i can do this. [ i even know what you're talking about! :) ]
next time i'm at the office...

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #106 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
: