Re: dh-client setup problems

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 10:57:54PM -0500, Stephen Nosal wrote:
| Folks -
|
| I recently got Time Warner Road Runner installed. It seems to be a
| straight forward dhcp install but I'm having a problem getting
| dh-client running. I've manageed to make it work with the same box
| running NT, as well as an old Macintosh I have, so I'm pretty sure
| it's my dhcp setup that's causing the problem (currently it runs
| pppoe/dsl just fine)

If you're using PPPoE I don't think you need DHCP at all.

| I've been through the man pages and the dhcpcd how-to and I think
| I've covered the basics, but when I run dhclient (or dhclient eth1)
| I get no connectivity, no messages, nothing. I'm currently at a loss
| as to where to look.

dh-client and dhcpcd are two totally different DHCP implementations.

| Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm quite frustrated at
| this point in time trying doing something that should be so simple
| I'm sure I've been hit with the stupid stick.

DHCP is a network-layer thing.  If the DHCP server is set up correctly
(not in your control and it probably is) and the link and physical
layers work, there should be no problems.

For me (both systems I use) I simply have :

| 	iface eth1 inet dhcp

in the interfaces file.  Then I run 'ifup eth1' and it gets an IP from
the server.

| My dhclient.conf file is blank.

I didn't need to configure dh-client at all.  The default
dhclient.conf has a whole bunch of stuff, but it is all commented out.

Check your syslog.  There should be stuff like

Feb 22 18:45:49 dman dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 64.213.112.1 port 67
Feb 22 18:45:49 dman dhcpd-2.2.x: DHCPREQUEST for 64.213.114.152 from 00:04:5a:4f:30:67 via eth1
Feb 22 18:45:49 dman dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPACK from 64.213.112.1
Feb 22 18:45:49 dman dhclient-2.2.x: bound to 64.213.114.152 -- renewal in 32400 seconds.

in it.

(actually, ignore that second line, it is because I run a dhcp server
also, but it ignores requests for that interface, the issue is that
broadcast packets are received by all hosts on the network segment)

HTH,
-D

--

Many a man claims to have unfailing love,
but a faithful man who can find?