Re: Spamassassin, fetchmail, exim, and system resource issues

on Thu, Feb 21, 2002, Alan Shutko (ats@acm.org) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > When pulling mail, I'll see the system spike to 350 or more processes.
> > It appears that each mail delivery initiates a separate exim process
> > (which I hadn't expected) and procmail process (this I had).
>
> I don't send fetchmail's output through exim, I just put this in
> .fetchmailrc
>
> defaults mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f %F"
>
> which serializes mail delivery.  So instead of hitting user limits, it
> takes a while to go through morning mail... maybe I should try
> spamd....

spamc/spamd is highly recommended.

I think the problem is exim's handling moreso than the others, so your
suggesting may be sane.  I trimmed my max messages accepted from ~100 to
~50.  I've got exim running queue every five minutes, which I think I'll
cut to something like 2-3:

    /etc/exim/exim.conf: smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 50

...and the appropriate mod in /etc/init.d/exim.

If I understand properly, this should cause exim to attempt fewer
simultaneous delivers, and spread deliveries out over several minutes.

Peace.