Mounting ntfs partition to be user readable

Hi all,

Now that I've got most things working I'd like to be able to access
files on the ntfs partition.  I can mount it as root using mount -t ntfs
/dev/hda1 but as a user I have no access to it.

I don't want to mess up permissions on the ntfs system so chmod -R 777
/mnt doesn't appeal.  But this is being cautious rather than based on
any real knowledge.

Is there a sensible command that would allow me to have read access as a
user?