Re: stable-->unstable (or how far to throw the disks?)

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 10:40:34PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> >Use IDEPCI image.  You may not even use driver disks. :)
>
> Yes, I wondered.  Any idea of a rtl8139 network driver is in that image?
Not as compiled in kernel but as module, I think but not sure.  Nice
thing is its driver-disk is 2-3 disk if I remember.  Since I use tulip
and eepro100, it was not a problem.

> >Before installing, you can go to console by pressing ALT-F2.  Then use
> >editor to edit /etc/sources.list.  You can skip most minimum potato
> >install downloads.  That is a small trick.
>
> Edit it how?  You mean add the testing URLs?  I did that, but again, I
> found it more reliable to do a complete upgrade for each step.  Believe me,
> I've been looking for all the short cuts I can find! ;)

Yep.  At least thios trick worked few month ago.

> >Put them all in /var/cache/apt/archives/  then you are all set,
> >I think.  Try it and tell me what happens.
>
> I did that.  I did two installs today.  The first time I tried to be tricky:
>
> - booted with rescue and root floppies.
> - Alt-F2 and insmod my network card module from floppy
> - did base install off the debian site
> - copied .deb files to the /var/cache/apt/archives directory (from
> a second partition)
> - then cycled through apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> And indeed, it seemed like the .deb files were being used.  But the upgrade
> failed badly and let the machine in an unstable state.

This sounds like there may be some other issues on archive now.

> So I started all over again, using the driver-? disks, and dselect instead
> and it went smooth.  I still copied the .deb files back into the cache, but
> it didn't seem to install much faster -- still fetched most packages from
> the debian mirror.  (I thought dselect was just a front-end for apt-get, so
> I wouldn't have thought there would be a difference in the use of cached
> .deb files.)

Yes.  apt-get pulls in all suggested packages.
Try "apt-get dselect-update" mauybe.

> Anyway, I've decided to move to a new headache: trying to get XFree86
> working.  I'm using 4.1, but still a 2.2.19 kernel.  I need to figure out
> how to move down to 1024x768 and how to keep the mouse from hanging...
> What fun.
Good luck :)

Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
Visit Debian reference http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/
There are 6 files: index.{en|fr|it}.html quick-reference.{en|fr|it}.txt
I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.