Re: ximian Install

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 20:04, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> my very first install was storm. then i went to potato, then woody.
> storm came with ximian. when i dist-upgraded from potato (w/ ximian) to
> woody, gnome gave me many problems, on two machines! so, i later purged
> all ximian and went with the gnome packages from debian. they are much
> better. i'm not sure if you'll be giving up anything by not choosing
> ximian (like red-carpet or evolution),

Not sure about Red Carpet (if you want a nice gui installer try Storm
Package), but Evolution isn't in Woody yet. It's very easy to install
from unstable though, along with the two or three dependancies that
aren't satisfied by Woody.

I've also had trouble with the Ximian packages, partly with dependancy
problems (understandable on Woody - it's a bit of a moving target), but
also with broken packages, usually missing files. I eventually wiped all
traces of GNOME from my system and installed the standard Debian
packages, which I've found much better.

--
Geoff Beaumont
Geoff@stormhammer.com