Re: Creating boot floppies

Might it be the initrd issue? You seem to be using a prebuilt kernel which uses initrd. I just tried mkboot with a 2.4.17 kernel, and it works just fine.

Try examing the lilo.conf file on the floppy to see if there is an appropriate initrd line.

Bill Wohler wrote:

Martin Wuertele <martin@wuertele.net> writes:

if you just need a boot disk to boot you system, not a rescue disk you
might want to use mkboot

  Thanks for the pointer. This is what I was looking for. I ran:

    mkboot /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-686-smp
However, this creates a floppy that panics when it tries to mount the
  root filesystem. Something about device 302. My root filesystem is on
  /dev/hda2. I tried adding the -r /dev/hda2 option to no avail.
  Thoughts?