Re: mysterious kernel panic at start up and it's workaround

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:32:49 +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 03:44:58AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:02:23 -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >So you can not mount root.  Is root ext2?
>
>I presume it is, since the rescue disk can deal with it happily.

>That error message (to my eyes) appears to be complaining that it
>can't load the kernel module for block devices with major #3, which
>is your primary IDE bus.
>
>The problem is (I think) that the prepackaged kernels need an initrd
>to boot off, to load modules like IDE support from.
>
>To fix that, you'll have to do some reading. I compile my own kernels
>precisely because I don't want to muck about with modules or initrds. :-)
>
>> >Let's do one thing.  Boot system with boot disk with root=/dev/hda3
>> >and gain root.
>
>> Now my ignorant question is--how do you pass arguments prior to or
>> during boot?  As above, how does one go about booting the system off the
>> rescue disk with "root=/dev/hda3"? <--My 7th grade English teacher would
>> have had a cat :-), but doing it right looks so wrong.
>
>When you see LILO, hit shift or something. (Or turn on caps lock before
>that point)
>You should get a prompt. If you hit TAB at that point, it'll show you
>the kernel names you can boot. Type the kernel name, followed by the
>commands you want to pass it. This is the same as putting
>append=root=/dev/hda3
>in lilo.conf, which is different from putting
>root=/dev/hda3
>in lilo.conf. Subtly different, but different nonetheless.
>
>This should be mentioned on the rescue disk's opening screens. F3 I
>think...
>
>> ># vi lilo.conf
>> ># lilo
>> ># shutdown -r now
>
>> Further, it looks like you're opening vi with the file lilo.conf which
>> seems unlikely since lilo.conf is in /etc, isn't it?  Is this actually
>> opening a configurator?  (I don't have any man pages available at the
>> moment.) And, no editing is indicated.  Then, run lilo.  OK.
>> Shutdown/reboot.
>
>'vi lilo.conf' is supposed to mean 'edit /etc/lilo.conf appropriately' but
>in a rather esoteric shorthand way. :-)

I'm gonna feel pretty stupid about this, I think.  Like Aaron, I could
get a rescue disk to work.  No amount of fiddling  with "root=" or
"append=root=" in either lilo.conf or at boot would get 2.4 up and
running.  So I booted into "Linux-old" and went looking at files.  I
found appropriate links in / for both the old and the new (curiously,
the kernel 2.2 link is owned by me (as regular user) while the kernel
2.4 link is owned by root).  In /boot I found:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root   root   ... vmlinuz-2.2.17
-rw-r--r--  1 root   root   ... vmlinuz-2.4.17-686

Notice that 2.4 is not executable!  I think that a chmod +x might solve
the problem.  Right now, I'm too ditzy for sleep to be mucking around
with root privileges.  So, goodnight.

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash