Re: OT: TV Out & DVD

* Crispin Wellington (crispin@iinet.net.au) wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 12:32, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> > I'm putting together a 500Mhz-cpu machine to sit in my living room, primarilly to play dvd's. Ideally, I'd be displaying to the television there, however I'm not sure what to look for in a video card.
> >
> > In order to get DVD's scaled to full screen, it'd be nice to have some degree of 2d acceleration on the tv-out, to get real Xv-type speeds. I understand the TNT2s that have tv-out are pretty good, but I've yet to hear any confirmation about whether or not they would support Xv on a output-to-tv display.
>
> Last time I checked (6 months ago) they did not support xv on tv-out.
> This may have changed with nVidias latest drivers. However it may not
> have due to Macrovision concerns in nVidia.
>
> What experiences have people had with Matrox G400's?
>
> Somebody? Somebody?
>
> Crispin

   I have a Matrox G400 32Mb dual-head. Using mplayer I can play DVD or
VCD or whatever out to the second head with Xv enabled. I'm using Matrox
framebuffer stuff from the console. The only problem I ran into is that
I can't figure out is how to set the geometry of the picture to get rid
of the black lines at the bottom and the left side. Their docs and tools
are tuned for PAL format and I was not able to set the framebuffer
correctly for a NTSC TV. Rather than that there is no visible difference
between playing it out on the primary screen or TV.  Some links to
start:

http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/~vana/matroxfb.html
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/video.html#2.3.1.7

Alex.

Oleksandr Moskalenko <malex@purdue.edu>
pub  1024D/6C5F196B 2001-08-17 /* http://www.tagancha.org/pgp */
Oleksandr V. Moskalenko (Alex) <malex@tagancha.org>
Fingerprint = EE63 C471 ADBA 5D80 ADFB  1054 DA28 6F32 6C5F 196B