RE: Error on Gnome startup

Yes, although it had been missing. I had uninstalled and reinstalled all the
gnome applications
because I was just getting a background Debian logo, and motd window,
nothing else with gdm.

It's still the same using gdm, but startx launches gnome OK and gives me
that error message. I recognized the error message; it's the same one I was
getting with gdm up until a couple of weeks ago.

So somehow I've completely hosed my gdm installation. But that's not why I
asked the question; I asked it because I started seeing the message a few
weeks back before I had done anything besides upgrading. I'd like to help by
sending the purported detailed message, but I don't know what console it's
referring to. I looked through /var/log and even grepped and zgrepped it for
'applications menu', but came up empty.