praise to the debian gods

Well, after spending Sat, Sun and most of Mon trying to get Mandrake to
install on a K6/3 with 'no joy' (could not make it past package selection), I
tried to install debian (woody), IT WORKED ON THE FIRST TRY!!

My reasons for trying Mandrake were two fold:

1) I run MySQL as my database server, and the version in potato was too old.
I just installed the woody version (best MySQL install I have ever done).

2) I want to use a journaled file system.

I did try the reiserfs install set, but it did not support my 3com 905
network card, so I used the 'vanilla' set. What is the quickest/best (I need
to complete this box and start converting ALL the others), way to get
reiserfs support?

Upgrade the kernel or patch the kernel?

And does anyone have any reason why I should not run reiserfs on the partion
where the database will be stored?

Once again, debian is GREAT!!!

TIA,
John