Re: devfs and ide-scsi devices

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 07:57:41PM -0500, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> Problem: devfs & devfsd do not create /dev/cdroms and /dev/tapes and
> related symbolic links.
>
> woody box
> devfsd 1.3.21-3
> stock kernel-image 2.4.17-386
> Modules loaded that pertain to scsi: sg, aic7xxx, ide-probe-mod,
> ide-scsi, sd_mod and scsi_mod
> devfs is mounted at boot by including "devfs=mount" at lilo boot prompt
>
> Extract from /var/log/dmesg for these devices:
>
> hdc: HP COLORADO 8GB, ATAPI TAPE drive
> hdd: CD-ROM 48X/AKU, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> [snip]
> PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:09.0
> scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.4
>         <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>
>         aic7880: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs
>
> (scsi0:A:6:0): refuses synchronous negotiation. Using asynchronous
> transfers
>   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: K.05
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
>   Vendor: HP        Model: COLORADO 8GB      Rev: 2.08
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Vendor: E-IDE     Model: CD-ROM 48X/AKU    Rev: U22
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> /dev lists these devices for the cdrom and tape:
>
> 1) /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0
> 2) /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0
> 3) /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
> 4) /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/generic
> 5) /dev/sg1                                     [symlink to #3]
> 6) /dev/sg2                                     [symlink to #4]

> Without devfs mounted, cdrom is  /dev/scd0, and tape is /dev/st0 or
> /dev/nst0.
>
> Any thoughts on how I can get devfs to create /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and
> /dev/tapes/tape0 and symbolic links to these devices? I haven't been
> able to figure out how to do this from devfs FAQ and kernel
> documentation or come across solutions searching with google.

I don't know about tape drives, but to get the /dev/cdroms/cdromx
and /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/cd devices, you need the
scsi CD driver loaded. Then they'll exist. Presumably it's the
same for the scsi tape driver as well.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.