lpd filter error: No way to print this type of input file

Hello Debian fellows!

I was fine with the lpr printing system 'till I moved to the lpr-ppd
package (version 1:0.72-2).  When I try to print a text file I get an
email with a subject of
``Subject: error while running /var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter to print''
and the following message:

 -- email start --
Could not find requested printer:
Could not find requested printer:
Could not find requested printer:
Could not find requested printer:
No way to print this type of input file:              ASCII English text
^L
 -- email end --

$ ls -l /var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           35 Ιαν 24 10:19
/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter -> /usr/lib/printfilters/master-filter

Here's my /etc/printcap, which was produced using printtool.

 -- /etc/printcap start --
# $Id$
# $Log$

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See /etc/filter.ps, /etc/filter.pcl and
# the printcap(5) manual page for further details.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL bj200 360x360 a4 {} CanonBJ-200 Default {}
lp:\
	:lp0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\
	:PAPERSIZE=a4:\
	:DESIRED_TO=ps:\
	:PRINTER_TYPE=LOCAL:\
	:ASCII_TO_PS=YES:\
	:GSDEVICE=bj200:\
	:RESOLUTION=360x360:\
	:PS_SEND_EOF=NO:\
	:NUP=1:\
	:RTLFTMAR=18:\
	:TOPBOTMAR=18:\
	:TEXT_SEND_EOF=NO:
 -- /etc/printcap end --

Needless to mention that the same problem occurs while trying to print
postscript files.

Another piece of info that might be useful is the output of lpc:

$ /usr/sbin/lpc status
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

and, yes, the daemon IS running

$ ps -C lpd
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
  16848 ?        00:00:00 lpd

BTW I'm running 2.2.19 and Debian testing.

Any hints?  Please cc me, as I'm not subscribed in the list.
Thank you in advance!

--
Serafim Zanikolas                                       Proud of running
http://www.it.teithe.gr/~serzan                         Debian GNU/Linux