Re: printing stopped working--any ideas?

And Adamm wrote:
>IMHO, for b/w printing that _will_ always work, try swaping your
>printer for HP DeskJet series - I have the old 500 and it works
>perfectly. Refiling the cartridge is cheap; can't complain.
>
>If you want good quality, look for a printer that is supported
>under Linux. Either it is PostScript or some other open
>standard.

Note that I can't even cat filename > /dev/lp0. Absolutely nothing happens that I can see. Also, when I Print from Gimp (I have a CUPS and gimp-print setup), then check "lpstat", I briefly see something in the queue, then it disappears without any action to the printer. And this was all working a month ago before I started messing with kernels; still stumped; I thought I'd changed everything back to how it was!

But the important thing is I got color output just a few weeks ago.... I believe it does work. I followed all the instructions at www.linuxprinting.org (or at least I think all of them....).

Thanks,
Luke