Re: Shutdown process and Upgrade

Hi Ian,

> Is it OK to type 'reboot' in a console in X (such as Konsole)?

No, it's not.  This has the same effect as hitting ctrl-alt-del on the
first terminal: It sends all process the TERM signal and then the KILL
signal, executes shutdown scripts and then reboots.

Most important thing to know: The Linux shutdown process (initiated by
pressing ctrl-alt-del or running the programs `halt`, `reboot`,
`poweroff`, `shutdown`, and what-not), will (in most cases) not save
your open documents or any other data, and completely bypasses the
session management of your desktop environment.

Having said that, I find myself running `reboot` in Konsole sometimes,
but usually only, when I test newly compiled kernels.  No need to
mention, that I don't have any important data open at that point.

Cheers,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld