Re: md resync vs. swap (was Re: Swap not starting)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 11:13:11AM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> > Something in the back of my mind says it's to do with having a swap
> > file/partition on the raid volume, that that is a bad thing while it is
> > syncing it.
> >
> > I don't remember exactly though.
>
> I suppose that could lead to some nasty recursion if it had to swap
> while resyncing the swap device...
>
> If that's the only reason, though, then it seems like it should be safe
> to activate non-md swap devices without any concern for what the md
> subsystem is up to.
>
> Anyone know of other reasons why taking that check out and running
> swapon unconditionally might be a bad idea?

Well, swap devices over lvm, which has sort of the same problem with swap
devices over raid.

Bottom line: don't do something as dumb as swap on lvm ;-)

BTW, swap on a md device should be safe, IF the md device is running
(rebuilding or not -- doing it during a rebuild will probably slow down the
system to a crawl, though).

  Henrique Holschuh