RE: mail server

Paul,

> I would like to put a REALLY small email server up at work using Debian
> ( I have a RH box I've put together but I like ... the feel of this list

I'm probably going to be the lone voice here.  I prefer sendmail for one
reason.  There is an incredible amount of information out there.  Pick up
almost any unix administrator book and it will walk you through setting up
sendmail for a simple configuration.

The new sendmail is much easier to configure due to M4 macro support.
Whatever you do, don't directly edit the cryptic .cf file.  Drop any book
that suggest you do so.  The new M4 macros future proof you configuration.

The only problem I had during configuration was with procmail.  The que
would back up with deferred messages.  I had to uninstall procmail then
sendmail.  When reinstalling sendmail, it would update procmail.  Otherwise,
procmail would get lost for some reason.

Should you go the sendmail route, check out a local bookstore.  Most have
many books with basic sendmail configuration.  There is also a great
newsgroup comp.mail.sendmail.

Some books I found that were good:

Unix System administrators handbook 0-13-020601-6
Linux System Administrators handbook 0-201-71934-7
Setting up a Linux server 1-57610-569-5

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul McHale
   Work:   937-320-5495          Double E Solutions