Re: Fwd: Debian Won't Install! (System Locks Up)

Heh.

I've been offline all this time; I still *CRINGE* at the
thought of what I did to my Red Hat installation, so I
won't go into it (YIKES!) but I was stuck with having to
get Debian up & running--I tried everything!  But nothing
worked.  So, I put in an old Cirrus Logic card, with a
whole megabyte of video RAM (the thing makes weird blotches
on the screen when I move the mouse over title bars and
such, really a pain, something's damaged on the card), so
now I am going to be stuck with this card for now with
Debian.

I tried to get online with Debian, but I cannot.  I need to
learn a lot more about this (I am using a cable modem;
yeah, @home is gone but my cable company is still keeping
things going for now)...right now, I am running a
freshly-installed Red Hat 7.1, just to get my Email and
talk to this list!

I am going to find a way to trade this card in with some
computer store (Computer Depot and others take trade-ins)
but I want to know: what's a good video card that WORKS
WELL WITH DEBIAN?  I want 64 megs of video RAM, I figure;
and to *hopefully* spend around $50+ dollars (I'll go to
$100-$120 or so for a good all-around card if it will GIVE
ME NO MORE VIDEO HARDWARE PAINS!!! :-)

So: any ideas?  Yes, I know there is a hardware
compatibility list, but I look at it, and I don't know what
I am looking at, or for...I've had no luck with eBay; I
guess I'm not fast enough placing a last-minute bid, or
something.

Anyway, thanks in advance (and all the advice in the Email
I just received is well taken; I will read and use and
learn it all, thanks! :-)

Best,

--Mark Seven Smith
pampaluz@home.com