Re: mail server

David B Harris wrote:

> Second, I recommend Exim :) It's well-maintained, it's the default MTA,
> and it's easy to set up. However, don't expect a magic wand. When I say
> "easy to set up", I'm comparing it to other MTAs with similar
> functionality

I think Postfix is no harder to set up than Exim (I've done both within
the last year on Debian systems), and more secure.

> Setting up an MTA well is non-trivial for somebody who hasn't done it
> before, so it's not like it can be done with absolutely zero beforehand
> knowledge :)

That depends on whether your needs fit into the options offered by the
debconf scripts for Exim or Postfix (the two packages offer very similar
options, btw). It can be quite simple indeed, if you don't need to support
multiple domain names or multiple offsite SMTP hubs.

Craig