kernel compiling fails on sounddriver

Hi

My debian woody is now working a few weeks. Some things don't work yet. Like my sound. Most describings say to compile my kernel with the new soundmodule enabled. I downloaded the latest stable kernel on kernel.org So far, I untar in /usr/src/linux, do a make menuconfig (or make xconfig), enable the things that seem to be necessary to me. Thus, I think I need the VIA 82C686 Audio Codec, because that is the same name as on my windows (I have the K7 motherboard, with VIA sound on board) .
I do make dep, make clean.
make seems to work.  After ten minutes it halts:

/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/lib.a /usr/src/linux/lib/lib.a /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/lib.a \
   --end-group \
   -o vmlinux
drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `local symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

(last lines of the output)

So, I understand, something went wrong, but what?

tnx, Kurdt