Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

on Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:27:13PM -0800, Paul E Condon (pecondon@quiknet.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" wrote:

<...>

> Where is there a HOWTO or tutorial on using available tools (e.g.
> procmail) to filter spam? Is it something that the "unwashed masses"
> like myself can learn to do?

Google will turn up a number of resources on spam.  If you're feeling
adventurous, there's a procmail FAQ and a number of resources for
setting up complex filtering rules.

My start was to install the spamfilter set of procmail recipies and
tweak them (they've been tweaked hard).  See various posts of mine in
archives about issues encountered, I wouldn't recommend this route for
the newbie, though someone with procmail experience could use the tools
as a quick start.

Note that spam can be handled at several layers, depending on your mail
configuration, connectivity, and ISP policies.  These are MTA (exim,
postfix, sendmail, qmail), MDA (usually procmail, possibly mailfilter),
or MUA (your mail client:  mutt, Evolution, Gnus, etc.).  Tactics vary,
all are well documented.

Debian packages aimed at spam, most (but not all) aimed at the MDA/MUA
layer:

  - mailfilter - A program that filters your incoming e-mail to help
    remove spam.
  - razor - spam-catcher using a collaborative filtering network
  - sauce - SMTP defence software against spam
  - spamassassin - Perl-based spam filter using text analysis
  - spamdb - Fully automated building and maintaining of a Blacklist
  - spamfilter - Filter spam from incoming mail

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org