Re: File Transfers

frank <fpd@sydney.net> wrote:
> Assumming you can get some sort of ethernet connection, install
apache/some
> web server on the computers you want files off. This how I transfered
files
> off my brother's winblose box, just needed him to enable tcp/ip, and
install
> the windows apache off a computer mag CD, and copy the files to the right
> place on his computer. It worked for me.
> You might meed a web browser too...
> Setting up samba is a black art, and I dont have it (why?).
>
> The problem with this setup is 'you are not allowed to alter the win98
setup
> in anyway'. Have they removed the on switch? Just install apache in your
> space, and as it only runs when you start it in a terminal (bos box), how
> will they  know? Tcp/ip is probably already on, so just run ipconfig.exe
> find out the ip address of the winblows box, and point your linux browser
at
> it.

They have already threatened to take the only system that I can use on our
ethernet away... the windows one, it has a built-in ethernet port. It is the
only one that I can access the internet with. I have no space on it. The
entire harddrive is shared. If my brother, on another machine, wants to
delete my homework, he can (but wouldn't get away with it). Because of
broken hardware, no cash, and windows acting like windows after a brick hits
them, the standard routes of file transfer seem to be closed to me.

I have just recently noticed a possible method to link these computers, but
I have yet to work it all out. I hope it works, yesterday I couldn't access
the howto's that I wanted to refer to for this connection, so I started
collecting the packages I would need to compile a new kernel. I had to
transfer 22 M by _floppy_.

My possible method is to connect the systems with a serial cable, and setup
the windows computer for a dial-in connection using an exterior modem that
uses the same serial port that I have the cable on, and and select SLIP for
the dial-up server type. On the other end, I respond like a modem would for
the AT sequences (each time a sequence is received, transmit OK). After the
"phone number" is dialed, initiate SLIP. I hope this will work. Its current
problems during the initial testing process are: it kills the windows
computer's connection to the internet, and I haven't figured out yet the
best way of automating the "modem" responses. I already know to send OK
after 3 characters arrive, send OK 8(I think, it's in a logfile) characters
later, and so on

Time for a byte to eat,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com

ps. how long do you think it took to transfer the kernel source by floppy