Re: how do I play divx encoded films on testing?

Alan,

mplayer still relies on some win32 codecs -- these will soon be replaced
by linux native/gpl'ed codecs.  Is that what you're talking about? If
it's only dvd that's not working, you probably need libcss (the
supposedly illegal library) to play it.  You can grab all of this.. or
at least tips on where to find it.. at the mplayer site mentioned below.

Try running mplayer as root when reading a dvd -- if it works, at least
you know where to start fixing.  I'm pretty sure yours is a problem of
css decrypting, though...s

cheers,
Matt