Re: Vesa and Framebuffer

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:18:20AM -0500, OliverFuchs1@aol.com wrote:
| Hi,
| I try to run the woody kernel image 2.4.9-686 hoping to change the console
| resolution from 680 to 1024x768. I know that i therefore need the vesa stuff
| ... compiling the kernel souce 2.4.9 by myself with non-modular entries for
| frambuffer and vega modes everything works fine with vga=791 on boot prompt
| ....but not booting with the woody-kernel image 2.4.9-686 ...does anybody got
| an idea ...

Karsten thinks from reading the docs that on x86 platforms there
should be no need to custom compile the framebuffer stuff in the
kernel.

However in my experience I needed to compile the kernel myself and
enable the framebuffer for it to work.  When you build your own
kernel, I recommend first loading the stock kernel's config, then
proceed to customize the config as you want (include the framebuffer
at the very least).  Then boot with the proper commandline arguments
and it will be there (as you indicate you have managed to do
successfully).

HTH,
-D

--