Re: Troubleshooting sound on an es1371

Thus spake Didier Malenfant:
> gmix reports all the sound levels are in the middle.
>
> play prints 'Playing Chord.wav' and then hangs there just like 'cat
> sound.raw > /dev/dsp' would do and I have to CTRL-C out of it.
>
> No sound.
>
> I'm beginnning to think I have a conflict but dmesg doesn't report any
> hardware at the same IRQ (5) as the sound card.
>
> -D
>
> On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 12:16, Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> > > Is there anything I can do to test the sound seperatly from xmms? cat a
> > > file to /dev/dsp????
> >
> > I use the "play" command, from the sox package.  Just "play foo.wav"
> > for example to play a .wav file.  Also, use a mixer application
> > (aumix, gmix, xmixer) to make sure levels aren't set to 0.  Good luck.
> >
> > --
> > Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u
I missed the beginning of this thread, sorry, but I guess the basics -
are the relevant modules loaded?  Many sound cards have different
sound outs - try both the digital and the analog, as the module may
not support both.  Try (in /dev/) MAKEDEV audio - that'll recreate all
the relevant /dev/ nodes.  Is your user in the audio group?

When you cat a file to /dev/dsp, does it actually hang, or is it just
pausing while the file is being catted?  I mean, if you cat a 5 second
.wav file, does it pause for longer than the 5 seconds.  You can
strace these trials to see if the program thinks it is successfully
opening /dev/dsp for writing, or if there is a problem.

OK - I'm out of ideas for now.  Write back with details, and I'm sorry
if I'm suggesting things already done.
HTH,
Steve
--
"In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
 --Frank Zappa