Re: Help please, geting framebuffer working

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:46:19PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| I've just installed wood on a machine with an ATI Radeon LE video card. The
| I built a new kernel (2.4.16) using kernel-package.
|
| First I tried enabling the framebuffer Radeon support in the kernel, but
| the results were not so good. The first console gets messed up during the
| boot up messages, and winds up unuasble to log in on (lookes like it might
| get left in "raw" tty mode). Then if I run fbi, the colors of the displayed
| images are all wrong.
|
| Soem kind soul on this list advised me the thet the ATI Radeon framebuffer
| support is "very imature", so I decided to try the VESA framebuffer mode.

I tried the 'atyfb' driver with an ATI Rage P/M Mobility, but didn't
get anything.

| I enabled it in the kernel, and rebooted, but I did not get a frambuffer,
| juts plain old console.
|
| I've read the framebuffer HOWTO, but it seems a bit too old to help me.

It's not too old, mainly.

| What am I doing wrong?

# grep "^kernel" /boot/grub/menu.list
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.16-custom.1 root=/dev/hda4 read-only video=vesa vga=0x31A

notice the 'vga' argument (and the 'video' argument, but I don't think
it is necessary for VESA).  Some of the modes are :

   Video modes :
        640 x  480 x 16 => 0x311
        800 x  600 x 16 => 0x314
       1024 x  768 x 16 => 0x317
       1280 x  960 x 16 => 0x???
       1280 x 1024 x 16 => 0x31A
       1600 x 1200 x 16 => 0x31E

        800 x  600 x 24 => 0x315
       1024 x  768 x 24 => 0x318
       1280 x 1024 x 24 => 0x31B

HTH,
-D

--

How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released imcompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you dont care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)