Re: Installation scripts - a request

on Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 02:00:26PM +0200, Johann Spies (jspies@sun.ac.za) wrote:

> A request of many of the people was that there should be more
> opportunity to go back to a previous screen during the installation
> scripts

On the installation scripts, this is possible by selecting an arbitrary
portion of the installation process.  Some of these options are somewhat
dependent -- you'll want to unmount partitions before repartitioning
your drive, for example.

> especially while configuring packages like xserver-xfree86.  If a
> mistake was made during the installation process e.g. while selecting
> packages, it is not always possible to go back and rectify the
> situation.  For a newbie this is a serious problem.

As suggested, dpgk-reconfigure works...for packages which use debconf
(not all do).

You can also do

    $ dpkg --reinstall install package

...to force reinstallation (and reconfiguration) of a package.

First time through, I *** STRONGLY *** advocate installing a _minimal_
set of packages, and installing additional ones one-by-one.  This tends
to result in a better understaning of what packages have been installed,
and less confusion (ultimately) over package configuration -- you're
usually dealing with only a few at a time.  You also get good training
on the packaging system.  OTOH, it takes a little longer to get going.

Peace.