Re: What happened to compose? Yet more information

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:38:06PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
| We found this this morning:
|
| In bash type Ctrl-v Ctrl-.  "e and then get ë.

Do you have bash (readline) in "vi" mode or "emacs" mode?  In vim I
can type ^V to escape the next character (allows entering in control
characters directly) or to type "x<1 byte hex code>" or
"u<2 byte hex unicode code>" and enter in any character.

| No locale and language settings seems to make any difference.

The ^V^."e trick doesn't work for me.  I have LANG=en_US.  It still
doesn't work if I set LANG=en_US.UTF-8.  Does it still work for you if
you set LANG to the values I've tried?

Also, are you trying this in the console or some sort of X terminal?
My laptop at work (somehow) has dead keys set in the console keymap so
if I type "e it gives me ë, but I don't get that in gnome-terminal (I
also don't get in it my console at home).  If I type " e I get "e.

-D

--

A wise servant will rule over a disgraceful son,
and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers.