ipchains memory problem

I recall seeing somewhere on my machine recently a document that
detailed the Debian setup of ipchains. Now I am attempting to set up
ipchains and I can't find it. I know about man, apropos, locate, etc,
etc, but I must not be remembering the magic n-letter string that all
gurus know to use. What is the fully qualified name of the file where
ipchain rules are saved? AND, more importantly, where is it documented?
I particularly need to know where it is documented because I think that
many other questions that I have are answered there.

Paul