Re: get leds on after bootup. Newbie #61

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:28:53AM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> To the point, why does debian switch off the numlock in the first
> place when it has been set on at bios level, and surely most people
> want it on anyway?

That's not Debian-specific.  The Linux kernel ignores most BIOS
settings and uses more direct methods to interact with the hardware.

As for why numlock defaults to off when, as you've stated, most
people seem to prefer it on, I would guess that either a) the
hardware defaults to numlock off and the kernel doesn't touch it or
b) Linus prefers it to be off and nobody's convinced him that other
people don't share that preference.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss