Re: debian-user-digest Digest V101 #2318

on Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 06:09:01PM -0800, Shawn Lamson (madzimambo@yahoo.com) wrote:

> > From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> > To: debian <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> > Subject: Re: /etc/init.d/rc: 2: command not found
> >
> > on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 03:19:04PM -0800, Shawn
> > Lamson (madzimambo@yahoo.com) wrote:
> > > this is still happening on every boot and telinit
> > runlevel change...
> > > also shutdown -r 0 doesnt work...  i tried the
> > debug=echo in
> > > /etc/init.d/rc and all that does is echo the
> > correct start messages to
> > > the screen...  i checked and rechecked inittab...
> > maybe the rc script
> > > is in error...  can someone send me their
> > /etc/init.d/rc
> >
> > Run the script manually.  Do you get the error?
> >
> > Try adding "set -x" near the top of the script to
> > show evaluation of
> > shell commands prior to execution.  You'll want to
> > delete this once
> > you've debugged the script.
> >
> right... just from a root prompt it runs fine...
> #/etc/init.d/rc 2
> and everything starts up fine... after i wrote in i
> realized that kind of kills my theory of rc being to
> blame... i will triple check my inittab; any other
> suggestions?

If it's at all possible, set your Yahoo mail account to wrap at 72
characters (seems you're getting about 52 characters), and to preserve
quoted attributions (my text above is utterly mangled).

Try changing runlevels manually.  You can shutdown (this goes to admin
mode, not a reboot), and go back to standard runlevel:

    # Go to runlevel 1
    $ shutdown now

    # Return to default runlevel
    $ exit