ATI video card confusion

I'm in the process of puting together several Debian systems, that will run
either woody or Progent (not certain yet). I ordered all the parts for
these machines at once, in an atempt to have all the same components, well
it seems to not have worked out quite that way.

I order ATI Radeon LE video cards, based upon a recomendation from the Duke
Of URL Linux midrange system web page.

Of 5 cards I recieved 3 have fans on them, and 2 do not. A the ones _with_
fan have a 2 x (I think) 15 pin DIP header on the top of the card close to
the metal plate that goes in the hole in the case. The onew without fan
actually have a sticker on the that says' Radeon LE", well one of the 2
does :-). The ones with fan don't have this sticker. They do have a part
no. of R6 DDR SG32M on them.

I'm confused! What do I have? and what X driver, and framebuffer driver
should I be using?

What started me down this road, is I have XFRee86$ (both Progeny supplied,
and woody supplied) workign corectly with the units _with_ fans. I have not
yet installed any of the non-fan units, so I can't speak to those.

However when I compiled a 2.4.16 kernel and opted for framebufffer suuprt
using the ATI Radeon driver, I got some strnage results. The first console
started up looking OK, with the Penguin in the upper left hand corner, but
shortly after that the startup messages stared overwriting it. This console
was the useless, I was able to use other text consoles, but they got meesed
up easily requiring a rest, and when I tried to display graphics using fbi,
the colors were all messed up.

Help, can someone give me some advice here?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.