Re: Network config problem

On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 23:14, Daniel Toffetti wrote:
> On Saturday 08 December 2001 16:58, ben wrote:
> > > Right now I get the external interface be assigned the valid IP
> > > address as before, configuring it as 'static dhcp - hostname pump'
> > > in /etc/interfaces. But when I try _any_ ping (any but my own
> > > address and localhost, of course), it fails with a "Network is
> > > unreachable" message. It's strange to me that the ping fails, but
> > > the names are correctly resolved to their respective IPs.
> >
> > shouldn't the path be /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> You are right, this is the correct name of the file, anyway this is of
> no much help to solve my problem... ::))

Replace WHATEVER with your proper iface number.

You want:

auto ethWHATEVER
iface inet dhcp ethWHATEVER

instead of "static dhcp" which, I'm not even sure how it would be parsed
by ifup.  ifconfig should tell you if your interface iseven being
brought up.

Assuming it's coming up and has an ip address, check your
/var/dhcp/dhclient.leases file for a routers entry.  If you have no
routers or 0.0.0.0 listed then your dhcp provider is broken, let them
know.  Then check your route table for a default route for the rest of
the internet.  If you do have one something is wrong, report back with
that output.  If you don't (more than likely) add a default route with:

route add default ethWHATEVER

to "fix" the problem until your dhcp providers fix it since you don't
know your gateway.  You can take a good guess at the gateway by running
tcpdump |grep arp, looking for the major arp requestor(s) and setting
default route to that host but this isn't the correct way.

--mike