advice needed on portals and weblogs

Good day!

I need to set up an organizational web site that will have
some characteristics of a weblog (for editorial and news)
and some of a group site ( shared calendar and contacts,
etc.) .  I will need to develop some specialized applications
over time.  This is for a church so it will have some public
functionality and some internal, protected functionality.

My goals include extensibility, low operational maintenance,
and Debian compatibility.

I have looked at several content management systems for
a basis and wonder what Deb users' experiences are.  Some
notes on the research so far:

 - I started installing Slash and found that it requires mods
    to Debian-installed components.  It also appears to be
    a resource hog.

 - PHP-Nuke seems good except I am concerned about
    the tight coupling of logic/presentation and how it will
    affect extensibility and the resultant code maintenance.

 - Zope and Zope CMF are also interesting, particularly as
    they are Deb packages and are built for extensibility.  My
    only concern is that I haven't seen any Z-CMF examples,
    including the dog bowl, that really connect to what I am
    doing.

Since all the solutions require a considerable time investment
for research and implementation, I am just looking for some
pre-advice before I get too far down any particular road.

Thanks in advance,

  -=greg