Re: Detecting Network connections...

Ah, perfect!  This did what I wanted.  Thanks!

For the curious, I added this:

---< snip >---
#! /bin/sh

HAVELINK=$(mii-tool eth0 | grep "no link")

if [ -z "$HAVELINK" ]; then
  echo eth0-link
else
  echo eth0-nolink
fi

exit 0

Then I set up a mapping in /etc/network/interfaces for eth0 that called that
script, as well as an iface entry for eth0-link.  (I left out eth0-nolink,
which ifup just ignores with a warning.)

Thanks to everyone for their help!

					-Andrew

--
Andrew Davenport                   | All good gifts around us
adavenpo@tropnevad.org             |     are sent from Heaven above.