Re: OT: Any way to get Win95 to boot again?

Marc Shapiro wrote:

I was given a new-to-me, but still ancient box ( Pentium 166 ) with
Win95 on it.  At the time, windows was booting fine.  I put in a new HD
(and moved the old disk to hdc) and installed Debian -- after playing
around with other distros (my old DX486 has never had any other distro
on it).

Somewhere along the line, Win 95 stopped booting.  All of the files are
there (io.sys, msdos.sys, windows and windows\system directories, etc.)
it just wont boot.  Since I don't use anything but linux, now, I never
did anything about it.  But now I am going back to school (for a C.S.
degree) and will need to use M$ software and languages.  Since I am a
stay-at-home dad with a 9 month old georgeous baby girl I would rather
do my work at home instead of in an on-campus computer lab.  This means
that I will need to run Windows.  I don't have a boot disk (and my bios
wont boot from CDROM).  I have tried to get lilo to boot windows, but
without any luck.  I imagine that the partition boot sector has gotten
trashed.  Does anyone know of a way that I can get Windows to
boot,again?

Any help will be appreciated.

You may have inadvertantly removed the "bootable" flag from the dos partition. I think this once prevented me from booting into windows98. As root, run fdisk and print the partition table using the "p" option. If there is not an asterisk next to the dos partition in the "boot" column, that may be the problem. To fix it in fdisk, use the "a" option and choose the dos partition as the one to toggle. Save the partition table (with "w") and try booting into win95.

Good luck.

--
Brian J. Stults
Department of Sociology